Sunday, May 15, 2011

Resisting Motherhood

One of the first few things that anyone tells me is that I don't look 'old' enough to be a mother.

I usually do not respond but the remark always reminds me of family photographs and the old albums I loved burying my nose in as a child. I always think of those young frail looking women- women in the family, my mother, her friends, sisters- with babies in tow that cautiously appear on the blurred edges, distant background or the fuzzy middles of those black and white, and occasionally color, photographs.  As a child, inhaling the dust of those disintegrating photographs, I would imagine their stories, the everyday-ness of their lives, on what lay behind those half smiles, transfixed solemn stares or toothy laughter. I would look at their babies, making connections, figuring out resemblances between the child and man/woman, but also noting the look of exhaustion, bone thin weariness that the women wore like lipstick.

No matter how prepared, every woman is unprepared for motherhood. I could not imagine the state of perpetual wakefulness and broken sleep that has come to characterize my 'sleeping' hours ever since Sophie, my daughter.

Sophie, my daughter. It seems so strange to even say it. Sometimes I wonder at how God thought me fit to be a mother when I can barely make sense of my own life. Sometimes I wonder if all women thought the same thought but continued with growing children up, come what may. Perhaps others too, like me, have struggled with the definition of motherhood. We don't seem to experience the emotions we are supposed to. Worry, the urge to care, the desire to protect are natural to every parent. But this glorious paean to the Tiger-Warrior-Nurturer that resounds in every word spoken written read heard about the 'mother' is not me. 

Should I be worried about it? 

I have certainly struggled with my transition to motherhood. I have resented my changed status, become angry at what I am 'expected' to do, felt adamant when I did not perform 'motherly' things. These were feelings that did not occur only 'post-partum' as doctors fancifully put it. These are feelings that rise to the surface like the 'occasional' Hurricane Katrina.  I have certainly not been a role model mother. For the sake of my mental sanity, I left my baby behind at home with a woman I do not entirely trust, to go to work that is not entirely satisfactory.For the sake of my desire to get back to where I started from, I left my baby behind. I have felt terribly guilty, torn between wanting to stay at home with her and going mad when I did  so. 

I understood why those women in the photographs wore those barely clenched smiles. 

Today, as on other days, when I left for work, climbing into my car, and my baby wailed after me saying 'Amma , Amma', my heart tightened and a half suppressed thought lingered in my throat.

Perhaps it is not motherhood that is glorious.  It is a child's utter utter dependence on you, the mother, that makes motherhood. The knowledge that I am irreplaceable, so needed is a tremendous ego boost but it is also, I think, what compels women like me to figure out 'motherhood' as constructed by others down the ages.


5 comments:

  1. I bled a little tear for this one.
    It's not only children's dependence that makes us mothers but perhaps parents' dependence that makes us daughters, husbands' that makes us wives and so on. I am beginning to feel that we only survive in these roles because we think someone else can't survive without us playing them.
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)Yeah. May be. I think I took to wife-li -ness ( to coin a word) rather too naturally though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a man I am perhaps not entitled to comment on your thought-provoking post. It would be interesting to find out if other mothers, with or without men they can display as husbands, have similar feelings. Is that why the rest of the world is glorifying motherhood with a vengeance? MMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. :). I am not too sure what you mean by the rest of the world. Do you mean the world that is not constituted by mothers? I also don't know if those women who are single parents would feel the same way.I know of some who have transferred parenthood on to the grandparents. I have heard of other single women who have fiercely embraced motherhood when others would have called it 'a problem'. My point is that motherhood is burdened with the expectations of how it must be performed/experienced. My sense of it as a performance interferes with caring for my daughter, truly, freely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought provoking post it is and it is redolent of the emotional upheavel of one who has questioned its 'naturalness' and identified it-not merely read of it-as a construct. but the most interesting part of the post is the candid admission that the sense of self- indispensability that arouses the ethics of care. it made me thinking how come over the ages women as mothers have felt that they are irreplaceable for their children but not quite the same way for everyone helpless around them-the aged au pair who has been serving the family for ages? is it presumptuous to say that not just motherhood but this sense of care for one's child-which supposedly comes naturally to the mother-is itself a construct? and that everything is fundamentally a 'role-playing' process?
    nonetheless, a very brave post. i wish i could make my mother read it!

    ReplyDelete